Did someone say beaches, braais and beautiful bodies? As we start gearing up for the holidays, we should also be mindful of how different foods and drinks can affect our gut health. The occasional overindulgence during this time is inevitable. In fact, we say go for it! However, feeling bloated and uncomfortable is less than ideal, especially at the beach or a summer soiree. What can we do to keep the bloat at bay, and enjoy the silly season in comfort, and style?
Gut health is the greatest wealth
Here are some simple things you can do in preparation for the festivities with family and friends this festive season:
1. Take your VitaminMe Debloating + Digestion tablets daily – To avoid “out of sight, out of mind”, leave your vitamins in a place that is easy to spot (kitchen/bathroom counter or your bedside table).
2. Stay active: Yes, even when you’re on holiday. Do 30 minutes a day of moderate movement, from fast walking to jogging or swimming. If you go down to the beach for the day, take a walk along the sand – it’s great for calf muscles 😉.
3. Remember to get in the good stuff, like fruit and vegetables. Freshly squeezed juices, especially green juice and those including turmeric, are excellent for aiding digestion and bloating. Remember that some juices may be high in FODMAPs, which are specific carbohydrates that those with IBS are sensitive to. Therefore, making/drinking fresh juices with low-FODMAP vegetables and fruit are essential.
4. Drink water – a recommended amount of 2 litres per day. This is especially important during the hotter months as we lose a large amount of body fluid when sweating.
Recipe: Juice for gut health
Anyone who knows about good gut health and freshly squeezed juice knows that the two go hand-in-hand. Here is our favourite go-to juice for a happy, healthy gut. Have it in the morning before embarking on your daily activities. It will help aid digestion and keep your tummy happy.
What to put in
1 Apple, small
3 Carrots, medium
1 Lemon, small
½ Cucumber, medium
4 Celery sticks
½ cup Parsley
Fresh Ginger, as much as you like
Turmeric, as much as you like
2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar Organic, raw
1. Add all the above ingredients except the Apple Cider Vinegar into your juice extractor and juice away!
2. Mix 2tsp of ACV into the freshly squeezed juice
3. Drink up and enjoy!
Detoxify and aid digestion, naturally.
VitaminMe Debloating + Digestion is a daily supplement that helps promote a healthy digestive system, alleviating bloating, and promoting clear and glowing skin. If you struggle with digestive discomfort, bloating or IBS look no further; our Debloating + Digestion is an absolute must-have. It can really become your holiday season sidekick to help keep your digestive health in check.
The key to a happy gut is what we put in it: Our Debloating + Digestion includes nature’s finest gut-enhancing ingredients – Fennel, Milk thistle and Turmeric. What do these natural ingredients do, and how do they help our gut health?
• Fennel is a fibre-rich plant that is proven to help relieve the discomfort of bloating and other digestive issues. Due to its high-fibre content, fennel can help alleviate constipation, flatulence, and bloating by supporting optimal digestive tract health. Both the plant and seeds have antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties that rid the gut of bacteria contributing to digestive discomfort.
• Milk thistle is a naturally occurring herb that has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It promotes optimal liver, digestion, and skin health by aiding the absorption of nutrients and the removal of harmful toxins.
• Turmeric is packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory components that assist with indigestion and bloating. Turmeric is also known for its ability to enhance skin health, and soothe acne and wounds through its de-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
The most important part of the holiday season is to enjoy it with the people you love. Although indulgence is almost always on the menu, it’s vital to include a mix of gut-healthy foods and to listen to your body to avoid digestive concerns and keep the bloat at bay. Make sure you know your limits, and practice portion control, specifically with foods that impact you the most.
End 2022 with a big, beautiful bang, and begin it with a clear complexion and a healthy digestive tract.