Inspired by International World Sleep Day on the 20th of March, we’ve decided to unpack our top tips and snooze-assisting advice for our community of health-conscious humans.
What is a Sleep Routine?
A sleep routine, or as we like to call it at VitaminMe: ‘a snooze schedule’, refers to the series of bedtime behaviours and activities that you engage in before crashing into the land of nod. It’s like a pre-sleep party for one, with you as the VIP guest of honour.
Why are sleep routines important?
Without a proper sleep routine, you risk tossing and turning all night like a salad in a bowl. Here are some reasons why sleep routines are crucial for getting better rest:
Consistency: Following a sleep routine consistently helps regulate your body’s internal clock, making it easier to fall asleep and wake up at the same time each day.
Relaxation: Engaging in relaxing activities before bed can help calm your mind and reduce stress and anxiety, making it easier to fall asleep. It’s like a lullaby for your soul.
Improved Sleep Quality: By preparing your body and mind for sleep, you can improve the quality of your sleep and wake up feeling more refreshed and energized than a superhero.
Steps to build your healthiest sleep routine
If you’re tired of counting sheep all night, it’s time to build a healthy sleep routine. VitaminMe has done some research and has put together a 7-step sleep program (not trademarked yet).
We share our top tips below:
1. Set a consistent bedtime: Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day can help regulate your body’s internal clock and improve the quality of your sleep.
2. Create a relaxing bedtime routine: Engage in relaxing activities before bed, such as taking a warm bath, practising deep breathing, or reading a book. It’s like giving yourself a spa treatment before bed.
3. Avoid stimulating activities: Avoid using electronic devices or engaging in stimulating activities, such as working or exercising, for at least an hour before bed.
4. Make your bedroom a sleep-friendly environment: Ensure that your bedroom is cool, dark, and quiet to promote restful sleep. Invest in comfortable bedding and pillows to make your sleeping environment as cosy as possible. It’s like creating a sleep sanctuary.
5. Manage stress/anxiety: If stress/anxiety is keeping you awake at night, consider practising relaxation techniques such as meditation or yoga. You may also want to speak with a therapist or mental health professional to address underlying anxiety or stress. It’s a must to give your worries a one-way ticket out of your brain.
6. Avoid caffeine and alcohol: Avoid consuming caffeine or alcohol before bed, as these substances can disrupt your sleep and make it harder to fall asleep.
7. Limit fluid Intake: Limit your fluid intake before bed to avoid waking up to use the bathroom during the night. It’s like avoiding a pit stop on your journey to dreamland.
A healthy sleep routine is your secret weapon for getting better rest and improving your overall well-being. Something to add to your arsenal of sleep-inducing side-kicks is VitaminMe’s Sleep + Anxiety. This super supplement harnesses the power of natural ingredients, used for centuries to aid a feeling of calm, and helps with overall stress-less emotions, which in turn help you get a good night’s rest. Remember, consistency is key, so try to stick to your routine every day and take your supplements daily, to maintain good sleep hygiene.
Sweet dreams and happy days ahead!